Segunda-feira, 12 de Janeiro de 2009

WSTest, some numbers - Updated

In my last post I've talked about my Java implementation of WSTest that can compete performance wise with the Microsoft implementation. My initial tests were performed using Virtual Machines and Windows2003 but since then I've managed to get my hands on a install CD of Windows2008 and a gigabit switch, so I finally could perform tests with some resemblance of a valid setup.

 

I still don't have server class hardware to play but at least I can run the tests on more than one machine. The web service host server is a Thinkpad T61p (Core2 Duo T7700 @ 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM), the client machines are a Macbook (Core2 Duo @ 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM) and a HP Compaq 2510p (Core2 Duo U7600 @ 1.20GHz, 2GB RAM)

I've used ApacheBench as the tool for generating load, example of use for the GetOrder test:

ab -c30 -n500000 -k -p post_files/getorder20.xml
 -H 'SOAPAction: "uri:WSTestWeb-TestService/GetOrder"'
 -T "text/xml;charset=UTF-8"
 http://172.17.1.100:8050/WSTest

The WCF implementation tested was the "WSTestSelfHost" (the numbers for the "WSTest_IISHosted" are lower) running on Windows2008 Std with all the latest updates and .NET 3.5SP1. The Java implementation runs on Ubuntu 8.10 with the Generic kernel using the sun-java-jdk-1.6.10 jvm.

 

WSTest (results in tps, higher is better)

Test NameWindows/.NET/WCFWindows/MinaLinux/MinaLinux/Grizzly
GetOrder-205095766085699962
GetOrder-1002773390742144923
EchoStruct-2028088412993911343
EchoStruct-1001582391341704742
EchoList-2025207844920010112
EchoList-1001346376641244531

Some notes:

  • The EchoSynthetic values aren't present because it's not clear to me what the "20" and the "100" are supposed to be on this test.
  • My Java implementation has a huge drop in troughtput in the GetOrder test going from 20 to 100 items, I will have to investigate the reason for this pathological behaviour. This has been fixed.
  • In some tests the Java results are more than 3 times as high!

 

Update: I've update the values to include tests runs with the Mina based http engine, both on Windows and on Linux. Results for Grizzly on Windows are not included because Grizzly aborts/resets connections way to frequently when running on Windows2008

tags: ,
published by luisneves às 00:45
perm link | comment | add to favourites

.search this blog

.Fevereiro 2009

Dom
Seg
Ter
Qua
Qui
Sex
Sab
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28

.recent posts

. Alternative serialization...

. WSTest, some numbers - Up...

. A fast implementation of ...

. European PGDay 2008

. Need for speed

. Receiving events/notifica...

.archives

. Fevereiro 2009

. Janeiro 2009

. Dezembro 2008

. Outubro 2008

. Maio 2008

.tags

. todas as tags

.subscrever feeds