Sábado, 31 de Maio de 2008

Need for speed

Sapo Broker just got an huge performance boost.

There are two reasons for it. The first was the change from H2 to Berkeley DB. H2 is a very nice database but not adequate to a high performance message store. I chose H2 initially because of the ease of use and familiarity with SQL, but it just doesn't hold up against our usage patterns. I picked BDB only looking for increase stability under load, which I got, the boost in performance was a surprise. Tests in various scenarios show that BDB is rock solid and an increase in throughput that ranges from 100% to 300%!

The other source of performance improvement has to do with XML parsing. We now use Woodstox. I've heard of Woodstox, but I didn't imagine that the performance difference would be so significant compared with SJSXP - that comes bundled with the JVM. Zero code changes and an extra ".jar" file, that was the cost of having nearly twice as much throughput... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.

Unexpected performance improvements.... I like them!

tags: ,
published by luisneves às 22:21
perm link | comment | add to favourites

.search this blog

.Fevereiro 2009

Dom
Seg
Ter
Qua
Qui
Sex
Sab
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28

.recent posts

. Alternative serialization...

. WSTest, some numbers - Up...

. A fast implementation of ...

. European PGDay 2008

. Need for speed

. Receiving events/notifica...

.archives

. Fevereiro 2009

. Janeiro 2009

. Dezembro 2008

. Outubro 2008

. Maio 2008

.tags

. todas as tags

.subscrever feeds